Wednesday, August 25, 2010

"But I think taking beer and urusenda are for married women" - when I had beer and urusenda


The presence of my mother in Rwanda helped me realize how incredibly awkward my daily interactions in Peace Corps Rwanda are. We used the phrase “Peace Corps is the name, awkward is the game” often. Daily. I’ve decided to share a few moments with you of ordinary interactions made awkward by language and cultural differences.

The Greeting
In Rwanda, greeting someone is of extreme importance and neglecting to formally greet someone is taken as an insult. The greeting involves some form of “hello” but also a handshake. The handshake takes on many forms: a handshake, a handshake where you touch your left hand to your right elbow, grabbing the wrist instead of the hand, doing this half-hug, bringing your head near their cheek three times and sometimes touching foreheads.  The problem comes in using that half a second to determine which physical greeting they are expecting and being able to smoothly return it. My poor mother, I threw her into the village without teaching her the greeting! Within a span of about 5 minutes, she greeted half a dozen people without knowing what to do. She did GREAT! Better than me.
An awkward greeting looks something like this: a little too much distance, hand placement must be corrected a time or two and when the one person goes in for a cheek greeting and the second person doesn’t, the second must overcompensate for this mistake by strongly jumping into the movement. My most awkward greeting to date was just like this last scenario. My female neighbor went in for the cheek/embrace but I did not. This caused me to belatedly jumped into it and, overzealous me, we essentially kissed.

The Cultural Taboos
There were a few cultural norms I learned in training that I forgot to share with my Mom before she came. Some of them are so irrelevant that I didn’t bother; however, I should have warned her about smelling food. When we ate at my colleagues’ house one night, she sat down and as any American would do, she picked up the dish, smelled it and said, “ah delicious!” before serving herself.

Imagine someone sitting at your dinner table and farting. Or insulting your cooking. This is what my mom accidentally did. I read my two colleagues for signs of anger or discomfort but they hid them well. And luckily she didn’t smell the ubugare.

The Sexual Advances
I’ll periodically have a conversation with a random male and my friendly, foreign nature is interpreted as an invitation. The conversation immediately turns from greetings and small talk to “I need you” or “I want an American girl but I can’t find one.” Though embarrassing, I do not let myself blush or get too angry. The interesting thing I would note about these sexual advances is that they only appear to me awkward FOR ME.

The Labeling
For an indirect culture, Rwandans sure like to label people. Everyone is either good or bad, serious or not serious, a girl or a woman, etc. They immediately label me a rich girl (never woman) and they laugh at any objections I make. This tendency to label gets particularly awkward when I am with other volunteers. Any Rwandan, a stranger or long time friend, will be quick to say who is fatter, skinnier, smarter, more beautiful or who has a richer mother. We’ve learned to take it with a grain of salt and laugh it off.

The Language Misunderstanding
This is an example of a language misunderstanding that occurred between my neighbor and I on the telephone. It was harmless, as they usually are. Italics indicate words spoken in Kinyarwanda.
Me (Penina): Hello Odille! How are you?
Odille: When are you coming?
Me: I will come tomorrow in the afternoon.
Odille: [something in Kinyarwanda that I in no way understand]
Me: I don’t know what you are saying.
Odille: Thank you. The same to you!
Me: Ok, see you tomorrow! Bye.

The Jealous Neighbor
I’m told by many Rwandans that villagers often poison people out of jealously and anger. This is supposedly a common practice in my district. Because of this fear of poisoning, it is customary to prepare, open and/or sip food and beverages in front of a guest to show that they are not poisoned. This is another thing I forgot to warn my Mom about.
Mama Devotha and her daughter came over for tea late one evening. We poured both their teas but the daughter’s had some milk chunks floating in it so my mom innocently took the cup to the kitchen to remove them. I ran after her while our two guests sat frozen, certain that death or at least painful stomach cramps were coming their way.
At this point, I started getting really flustered because I knew they thought I was poisoning the daughter. So I carried the cup out myself and before presenting it to her, I took a sip. My Mom was like, “what are you doing? That’s hers.” So I had awkward coming at me from both sides but I didn’t want to explain in their presence. It was so typically awkward. In the end, Devotha did not drink her tea.

The Unusual Maladies of White People
Rwandans have many questions about my health and let’s just say these conversations never make me feel comfortable. Sometimes, I will be asked if women in America have periods and if the reason I stayed home from school was because of “women’s problems.” Also, Rwandans do not have acne so not only do they notice acne on a white person but they routinely comment AND THEN PUT THEIR FINGERS ALL OVER YOUR PIMPLES TO TOUCH THEM. People also like to grab your arms, hair, etc. When a man is grabbing my upper arm to comment on how fat I am, he will usually remark on my rough skin and ask what I am sick with.

It’s pretty fun.

I usually diffuse an awkward situation with a smile. I frequently play the “dumb umuzungu” card. What else can you do? :-)

No comments:

Post a Comment