Saturday, October 17, 2009

Taboos

I think it's early enough to discuss cultural taboos. This is what I've learned so far from other PCVs and our language teachers.

Things Americans do that are inappropriate...
tipping
having men in your house after 6
eating and drinking in public
sitting on the ground, cross-legged, leg up on chair, etc.
eating and drinking anything in class
short greetings
having "naked" (barefoot) feet. ever.
short greetings
hanging your underwear to dry in the living room
singing
leaving the table before everyone is finished
wearing tight clothing
showing emotion in public

Norms In Rwanda...
hand holding and cuddling between men is common, staring is acceptable as are lots of questions, it is a compliment to be called a cow or fat, begging and bargaining, specifying whether you want your beer cold or warm, being late except for class and yawning when you're hungry, not tired.

I'm working on it.

Today was exhausting, draining, frustrating and long but I had it easy. Today we met our Rwandan resource family that we will spend many hours with each week over the next couple of months. Their names are Agatha, Pascal, Kariza, Bruce and Liock. My resource family spoke a little English and French so I was much better off than trainees who could only use broken Kinyarwanda. I learned more today than in any language class so far. Numbers, time, body parts, kitchen. The family and children were a delight.

I've started running in the mornings with another umusitajeri, Ashley, and it is the best way to wake up to and see Rwanda. So far, I've seen other men and a woman running as well as many umuzungus. It's cool, foggy, hilly and the smells are best in the am.

Love to all.

My phone number is country code 250 + 785387161. PLease call! We are 8 hours ahead of mountain time and I'm up early.

No comments:

Post a Comment