Wednesday, October 14, 2009

Petite a petite, le oiseau fait son nit

Bite! Nbwebe ndi umukorerabushake wa Peace Corps. I know, Kinyarwanda is pretty fantastic and intimidating. Today is our 7th day in country and our 2nd day of language class. All 36 of us are working hard, spirits are high and the placement feels perfect. We are in the Nyanza district for our Pre Service Training (PST) for the next 10 weeks. We are living in four separate houses with other volunteers and language teachers and have good walks between houses, the market and the kitchen/classrooms. I feel extremely priveleged right now as we have electricity, flushing toilets and cooks.

Rwanda is beautiful and the epitome of a perfect climate and location. Infinite hills in every direction, every shade of green, sweet smells as I walk to town, new and spectacular plants, red clay roads and clean streets. I was shocked to see how clean the country is but have come to understand why. Once a month, all Rwandans take a Saturday to clean their villages or do community service projects. This is one of the many ways in which President Kagame is helping to instill a sense of ownership in the citizens. This country and its rebirth astound me every day. The horrors of the war are very much hidden from day to day life.

Petite a Petite, or slowly by slowly, has come up again and again in conversations with locals, teachers, other PCVs and speakers. Just as us language learners must take it day by day, slowly by slowly, so has the country overcome the brutal jenoside that killed 1 million Rwandans in just a few months. The Rwandans feel very strongly about learning English as a way of advancing their country. ALready, I have had two adult Rwandans in town ask me for English lessons. The children that stand outside our house for a good part of the day love practicing their English. You wouldn't believe it but I met Barak OBama, CHris Brown and Kanye West last night!...

Oh, I almost forgot. (Jay...) I tried Banana beer for 350 rwandan francs (less than a dollar) but I really didn't like it. I'll have to give it another try. We've been eating some fresh fruit every day and some don't have English names as far a I know. Rwandan food is not spiced but I have enjoyed it thus far.

Very happy and positive right now. What I don't understand, I know I can still handle. PLease write as I would love to hear from you.

Amanda aka Penny

2 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. your name rhymes with rwanda...It sounds pretty much amazing - and only after 7 days. I'm so happy for you :)

    Be sure to take pictures of the things you write about - publish it one day :)

    ReplyDelete