Thursday, June 24, 2010

"Why is it the first time [since 1932] that USA is at this stage? They have much money. It is because they use their money fighting other countries?" - a colleague on the World Cup


This is a blog of my daily interactions, or what I like to call “bite se Penny we.” This is not pronounced “bite Penny” but rather “beetah say Penny way”. Italics indicate phrases translated from Kinyarwanda to English.

Scenario One:
Child to other children: Look the white person is coming.
Child: Good-a morning.
Me: Good afternoon.
Child: fine thank you teacher.
Me: um…
Child: when will you come visit us?
Me: where do you live?
Child: up there on the hill.
Me: (scanning the hill with dozens of houses). Oh. I will come.

Scenario Two:
Student and Jehovah’s Witness: Ah sister. How are you?
Me: I am fine. How are you?
Student: No matter, no matter. When are you coming to visit us?
Me: Where?
Student: There at the kingdom of Jehovah’s Witness.
Me: I am not coming.
Student: so maybe you will come?
Me: No. I am never coming. I am Catholic.
Student: So you will try.
Me: No. I cannot. Ok see you!
Student: Ok see you Tuesday at the meeting [of Jehovah’s Witness].

Scenario Three:
(Colleagues laughing and saying something about Amanda. They are either talking about me or bread but nine times out of ten it is me.)
Me: What?
Male colleague #1: They are saying that you cannot be late or your fiancé will find other girls.
Me: Yes, that is possible.
Male colleague #2: That is why you must have others in Rwanda like me or Gerald.
Me: ha ha (awkward… so I open my locker and expose the picture of my fiancé to the staff room)
Male colleague #3: This is your fiancé? Ah how he is big.
Male colleague #4: It’s psychology. Small girls like big men.
Female colleague: So you will have medium children.

Scenario Four:
Child: Something small for my wrist? *
Me: What did I say?... I said NO.
Child: Something small to wear?
Me: You’re not going to greet me?
Child: good-a morning.
Me: good morning.
Child: fine thank you teacher.

* think carefully before giving a Rwandan child a friendship bracelet

Scenario Five:
Rwandan boy/man: Good morning teacher. How are the news?
Me: The news are fine.
Rwandan: I have a question.
Me: Yes?
Rwandan: My English is very poor. How can one find English books*
Me: I do not know.
Rwandan: but what advices can you give me to find those things?
Me: Go to Kigali.**
Rwandan: ah but it is very expensive. One must first find money to go to Kigali.
Me: Sorry. It is not my job to help you find this. My job is to teach…

*can be replaced with learn English, school fees, scholarship, pen pals, computers or a plane ticket to America.
** listen to the radio, go on the school’s wireless internet, etc.

Scenario Six:
Rwandan woman: Look at the white person.
Rwandan woman #2: I see her.
Rwandan woman #1: She is wearing…
(Women stare)
Me: Good morning.
Rwandan woman #1: Yes.
Rwandan woman #2: eeEEEeeeh.
Rwandan woman #3: Eh! She knows Kinyarwanda!

Scenario Seven: (not daily but bi-weekly)
Construction worker at market: Hey look, it’s my girlfriend!
(Men laughing)
Me: Hello! What’s up.
(Men cheering)

Scenario Eight:
Old woman: (takes me hand) Muraho umukobwa. Hello girl.
Me: Muraho neza. A nice hello to you.
Old woman: Jesus save you.*
Me: Yes, thank you.**
Old woman: How is the news, how is the news?
Me: It is good.
Old woman: Are you strong?
Me: Yes, thank you.
Old woman: Strength strength.
Me: yes.
Old woman: May you have many husbands.
Me: I will accept them.
Old woman: (still holding my hand) May god save you.***
Me: Yes. ** Have a nice day.

* This is an approximation of some greeting about God.
**This is a culturally unacceptable response but I do not know the correct one.
*** Again, some approximation of a blessing

Scenario Nine
(Opening my locker, again my colleagues notice the picture)
Colleague: Amanda I think this is your cousin?
Me: No it is my fiancé.
Colleague: Ah! You must buy a strong bed!
Me: (too flustered to comment)
Colleague: And you are saying you only want two children? I am telling you you must have MANY children.

1 comment: