Sunday, March 21, 2010

"The best women all reside in Africa" - Tressa singing Ludacris


I wrote this a few days ago before I spent the weekend in what we call the motherland (Nyanza). I’m feeling stellar- relaxed, happy to return to site, ready for two years… Also, I maybe just drank a milkshake. Somehow. I’m climbing out of the rut I’ve been stuck in for the last two months.

Today was noteworthy. I spent a day by myself in Musanze which was so good for my little heart. I saw some frightening things, like a baby riding on the front of a motorcycle and my favorite restaurant spraying insecticide or air freshener on their buffet. I received some incredible packages and returned home to fun and games with Christine. She told me this is the happiest she’s seen me in a while… I think I’m starting to come out of my funk! Christine reminded me, “don’t ever be sad! Rwandese love you, especially Bella (5 months old).”

The other morning was noteworthy too. I arrived at school after a particularly sunny walk and met with Christine for some lesson prep. A male colleague of mine surprised me with a new morning greeting. It sounded something like “mwaria” and it meant how did you sleep? This is a loaded question for a single guy to ask a single girl. I said I slept great and he said, “really? Alone?” Christine reminded our colleague that I was not alone, I was with God. Next, my colleague Tharcille told me, “Amanda, you are very smart in the hair today.” She liked my braids. I ran off to teach some Price Elasticity of Demand and when I asked the school secretary if she had an “elastique” I could borrow, she ran all the way to town to buy the prop for my class. It was surprising and so kind; I owe her a huge favor.

The BEST part of my day was in my S5 English class. I do a “do first” exercise everyday after Tressa shared the idea with me. It’s the first thing students do when I walk into class. Today’s writing topic was, “What is your most prized possession?” which was a surprisingly popular topic. Innocent gave an answer that had the whole class laughing, especially the teacher. For some background, Innocent is a tall, skinny, sweet and goofy kid with big ears and a big smile. The first day of class, he asked me what type of guys I prefer and what I would do in Rwanda if I didn’t have a fiancée. I fear I blushed when I was forced to admit that well, I like tall, skinny guys. Anyway, today Innocent told the class, “my most prized possession is my underwear I am wearing… because they have a picture of my favorite superstar on them.” His favorite superstar is R. Kelly. Do you think R. Kelly has any idea he’s on African underwear?

This class also featured funny comments like “my most prized possession is my chunkland” and “Did you here the news?  Yes, I saw many casualties while I was washing dishes.” It was one of my best lessons, by the way. We played the game “telephone” which is not only popular but hands-down the most effective way of engaging every student in listening and speaking exercises. I do it by row so it goes fast. For another activity, I wrote 8 sentences on the board that used vocabulary from the first term. The students then had to write and perform skits in pairs using at least 3 of the somewhat random sentences. For a class of 51 students, this activity was fun, went smoothly and got everyone talking.

In teacher training, we listened to “When I’m 64” and filled in the blanks with the song lyrics. That song is so lovable. The teachers complained a little though. For some, our listening activities were too difficult and for the colleague who earlier asked me how I slept, he was anxious for us to cover the topics “friendships… and choosing a mate.” I’m not sure how to approach the latter but trial and error is how we role in the Peace Corps. We’ve been doing lots of tongue twisters in teacher training. One of my students is named NIMUSABIMANIZATWUMVA Julien. Say THAT five times fast.

PS. YAY FOR INCREASED READJUSTMENT ALLOWANCE!
Amanda Penina

No comments:

Post a Comment