Monday, January 11, 2010

Burera pictures


1. My kitchen
2. My yellow house
3. My house and mosque
4. Christine at the lake
5. the lake



I have some small moments to share.





Indahekana is a Kinya word that does not easily translate to English. It means “when the elder baby can’t hold her/his sister/brother because there is a very short time between them.” This is the case with Bernard, my caring colleague whose wife, also a colleague, just had her third child last weekend. The baby girl is a perfect as a baby can be and she will be named at the Kwita Izina (naming ceremony) in a few weeks. Her three year old brother, Prince, was absolutely terrified of me the first time he saw me and wouldn’t even enter the same room as me. On my most recent visit, he did an elaborate dance of avoiding me until I pulled out my ultimate weapon: cookies. Then he did an elaborate dance of pure happiness. He told me, “thank you and God bless you.” Those were the first words he’d said to me. Prince has big, beautiful eyes that seem older than his body. He was wearing a Chicago Bulls jersey.





On our hike on Saturday, some men greeted me in French and Christine said, “ah, they don’t know that you are Rwandese.”


1 comment:

  1. I love your cute yellow house! Can't wait to hear more cooking adventures!

    ReplyDelete