Thursday, November 26, 2009

I am thankful for my turkey



  Today was both the end of model school and Thanksgiving. A very emotional day in good and bad ways. Model school ended with a bang. My secondary students and I got serious with a dictation using “their, they’re and there” and then I dismantled any discipline I’d taught and we drew our thanksgiving turkeys on the board. It was a fun exercise for everyone because it is important to recognize what we are thankful for. And we had some great turkeys. The students were sad to see the abasitajeri (trainees) go and many of us got notes telling us how much they loved us. I am sad for model school to end but that is a great sign. I’m feeling ready to go to site, plan my curriculum and begin teaching. 


I’ve been hanging with some neighbors and female students recently. We have internet and food dates. They want me to invite my friends Tressa and Russell. Or as they’re known in Rwanda, Kayitesi and Brussell.


The US ambassador of Rwanda is visiting us today and bringing a turkey. It will be the first time we meet him. Scott and others have planned a huge thanksgiving feast for us and our center is decorated with hand turkeys. The Rwandans are beginning to realize that Americans will use the smallest excuse to have a huge shin dig. Dance party to come…


Thinking of everyone that I love on this special, misty Rwandan day.



1 comment:

  1. YO AMANDA! Glad you got a good dose of tryptophan on TDay!! My first day in the Piece Kor was spent flying over the international date line and losing TDAY '76 somewhere in space. This year, Sheree and I shared it at a dining table in China eating marinated chicken feet - OH YUM!!

    Hang in there gyrl - you'll be amazed how your thoughts evolve by day 180!

    HO HO's from the snow gods in Colorado!!

    ReplyDelete